Race Weekend Info
Welcome to the 2013 Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon Races!
On behalf of the staff, volunteers, sponsors and most importantly the residents, businesses, cities and park districts of the Naperville area we would like to welcome you to the 2013 Edward Hospital Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon Races! We’re thrilled you’re here with us and look forward to welcoming you back year after year!
Both races will start together at 7:00 AM. To lessen overcrowding on the course, runners start in waves based on pace. Chip timing will help insure a congestion-free start. More info.
North Central College athletic complex
Porter Ave and Loomis St
7 a.m. Race Start
Things to do Before Race Day:
- Download and read the 2013 Runners Guide. It contains significant, helpful information for you.
- Pay particular attention to the parking, chip timing and wave start sections.
- Plan to arrive EARLY.
- Find your bib number.
- Make sure you have a government issued photo ID at the EXPO for packet pickup and make sure you have your friend's photo ID if you are picking up their packet. No exceptions!
- For the latest updates see our Facebook page
- Practice your 'finish face' for the photographer.
- Relax! This weekend it's all about YOU!
Helpful last minute tips
Tips to make your race weekend experience as enjoyable as possible!
- Wave Start - It is very important to line up with the appropriate per mile pace groups for your wave. Find your per minute mile pace sign in the start corral and line up accordingly. More info.
- On the forest preserve and bike paths, stay to the correct side and run 2 abreast at most. The path is not closed and there will be occasional bikes or walkers.
- Pay attention to the course marshals. There are two places where the races split and go their separate directions. The marshals and signage will guide you but please pay attention.
- You may not change races from what you are registered for.
- You may not transfer/sell/give your bib to someone else.
- Please check this website or our Facebook page for any last minute race updates!!
- ENJOY your race experience in Naperville!
Gear Check Bag Instructions
If you are using our Gear Check service on race day:
your Naperville Races goody bag serves as your gear check bag. Please follow these instructions to check your bag.
- Only official Gear Check bags may be checked (your YELLOW Naperville Goody Bag plus tag from your bib)
- Remove the gear check tag from your bib
- Attach the tag to the goody bag using the BLACK ZIP TIE PROVIDED in the envelope with your race bib and timing chip.
- Before your race - Hand your bag to the volunteers at the Gear Check Tent near the stadium and the porta-potties.
- After your race - Show your bib to pick up your bag.
- ALL BAGS ARE LEFT AT YOUR OWN RISK
A wave start and chip timing insure no congestion occurs once the race begins. Small waves of 100 runners will start every 30 seconds. 100 runners will cross the starting line within 15 seconds, leaving a 15 second gap between waves.
Your race timing starts when YOU cross the starting line - not when the first wave starts, or when your wave starts. Both the half and the full marathon races will start together.
Find your per minute mile pace sign in the start corral and line up accordingly. As each wave starts, volunteers will move you slowly forward in the corral. Pace based starting is very important for optimum runner spacing on the course once runners leave the roads and enter the Fox River Trail. Waves are based on the honor system. Please be respectful of your fellow runners and be honest about your pace.
Particularly in a small marathon, moving up to a faster start corral does not result in a faster finish time. In fact, in a wave start, being at the start of the next slower wave is the best strategy: you will have no one ahead of you and few people pushing past you as the race starts. Age group awards are based on chip time: your start wave is irrelevant. Overall and Masters Overall awards are based on actual finish time. Line up in wave #1 if you are competing for an overall spot.
Results and Photos
The Official Photographer for the Naperville Races is Action Sports Images. They are very experienced at marathon photography. They will have two photographers at the start and finish lines and four photographers on the course between miles 2 – 26 at ideal places to catch you during your race!
After you finish they will also take posed shots of you with your medals. Within 1 week after the races they will post your images online and send you a postcard with samples of your images.
- Runner Guide
- Start/Finish Village
- Parking Information
- Medical Guide
- Spectator Information
- Spectator Tips
- Weekend Guide - events/things to do in the area
Packet Pickup and Expo
Race Expo and Packet Pickup in Naperville - see complete information
Friday, November 8 • 10 AM - 11 AM Edward Hospital Fitness Center members only
• 11 AM – 8 PM open to the public
Saturday, November 9 • 10 AM – 5 PM open to the public
There will be NO race day Packet Pick-Up.
Edward Health & Fitness Center (MAP)
(Edward Hospital Campus)
775 Brom Court, Naperville, IL 60540
Instructions for attaching your chip are printed on the envelope that your chip came in.
Make sure you cross each timing mat on the course in order to assure you receive an official time. And remember, no timing chip = no time. Don’t forget to bring your bib and timing chip on race morning!
Race Day Morning
Gear Check Bag - See the Gear Check Bag Instructions on the yellow sheet in your YELLOW Goody Bag that you received at packet pickup. Your Naperville Races Goody Bag serves as your gear check bag. Attach the gear check tag from the bottom of your bib with the BLACK ZIP TIE PROVIDED in the envelope with your timing chip and bib. Only Official Gear Check bags will be checked. All bags are left at your own risk.
Race Day Schedule
2013 Naperville Marathon Races
Sunday, November 10
- 6:45 a.m. Color Guard & National Anthem
- 7:00 a.m. Wave starts begins
The Marathon and Half Marathon courses will give you a nice combination of streets, paved trails, and limestone trails.